This chili chocolate popcorn is a conventional healthy snack with a taste twist. Popcorn is a high fibre snack alternative to crisps. Home made is best in order to control portion size and the addition of unwanted kilojoules, but popcorn can be flavoured creatively. Think herbs and spices which can be added to a little canola oil for popping.
Snacking is often where the hidden fats and sugars creep into our diets. While small, regular meals are important, these meals must offer maximum nutrient benefit for health maintenance. Avoid grazing and plan healthy snacks ahead of snack time to reduce overeating.
Try this chili chocolate popcorn for something different…
Chili Chocolate Popcorn Recipe
By Apr 22, 2015Published:
- Yield: 2 cups (1 Servings)
- Prep: 10 minutes mins
This chili chocolate popcorn is a conventional healthy snack with a taste twist. Popcorn is a high fibre snack alternative to …
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon sugar free hot chocolate powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Add the oil and the chilli flakes to a small saucepan (with a lid). Allow the oil to heat up and spread before adding the popcorn. Cover and allow to pop. Once popping lift the lid at an angle to allow air into the pot.
- In the mean time, add the hot chocolate and cinnamon to a bowl with a lid and mix well to combine.
- Once popped, place the popcorn in the bowl, cover and shake to coat all the popcorn with the chocolate cinnamon mix.
- This would be a good entertaining snack alternative to crisps or salty crackers
Tip: Pop 2 tablespoons of popcorn seeds for a single snack serving. Using a small pot and allowing the oil to heat up and spread before adding the seeds reduces the amount of oil needed to cover the base of the pot.