Basil pesto adds a punch of flavour to any dish but can be expensive with its traditional ingredient of pine nuts. Eaten in large amounts, it would also contribute a lot of excess fat and kilojoules. This is not ideal as it is unlikely to be the main ingredient of a dish but rather an added extra or a dip for snack foods.
By combining the main ingredient, being basil, with cottage cheese and unsalted cashew nuts, the fat is reduced and the protein is increased. This creamed basil pesto would make for a cheaper, more nutritious, pasta sauce, dip or sandwich filler and would promote greater satiety.
Quick and easy to prepare, this creamed basil pesto is an economical and nutritious substitute for the real deal and can therefore be enjoyed more often.
Basil Pesto Creamed Recipe
By December 13, 2013Published:
- Yield: 1 cup (10 Servings)
- Prep: 15 mins
Basil pesto adds a punch of flavour to any dish but can be expensive with its traditional ingredient of pine nuts. Eaten in large …
- 1 cup fresh basil (30 grams)
- 1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup cashew nuts unsalted
- 1 clove fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- Add the basil leaves into a food processor and blend until finely chopped.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend until well combined and fairly smooth.