Hiking is a great way to enjoy the outdoors, socialize and exercise at the same time. It is perfect for family outings or group exercise. Whether it is a day hike or part of a camping trip, hiking expends a lot of energy, making regular snacking and hydration important. Try this pocket friendly trail mix for a tasty, nutritious and energy rich hiking snack!
Why is it pocket friendly? Because M&Ms do not melt! Choose the peanut variety for a boost of healthy fats, fibre and protein. If hiking to lose weight, be careful not to undo your hard work with snacks too high in energy. Leave out the jelly beans if you are on a weight reducing eating plan. This trail mix fits perfectly into a pocket sized bank bag.
This recipe is kid friendly and could make for good counting practice. The ingredients were purchased by weight from a nut and candy dispensing section of a local supermarket rather than buying large bags of each ingredient.
Pocket Friendly Trail Mix
By Sep 22, 2014Published:
- Yield: 1 Servings
1 adult serving or 2 kids servings (under 10 years)
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon sunflowers seeds
- 10 whole raw almonds (15 grams)
- 1 tablespoon coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried cranberries
- 3 halves dried apricots
- 1/2 50 packet peanut M&Ms
- 15 jelly beans jelly beans (20 grams)
- Weigh and measure the ingredients. Combine well and package in a plastic bag with a seal (or a bank bag).
- If making multiple servings, make each batch individually to ensure even quantities of each ingredient per person.
You may also like: Peanut & Raisin Snack Domes