This sugar free chocolate cake is a good substitute for the real deal. Its sweetness comes from the banana and date combination rather than an artificial sweetener. These two affordable sugar substitutes also offer nutritive value. While a better choice for people with diabetes, this cake does contain carbohydrates (28 grams per 1/12 slice) and therefore will have an effect on blood glucose levels. For insulin dependent diabetes, a insulin bolus will be required.
This recipe can also be made using barley flour for those with coeliac diseases or an intolerance to wheat.
You may like this sugar free icing idea.
Sugar Free Chocolate Cake Recipe
By January 27, 2013Published:
- Yield: 12 Servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
- Ready In: 45 mins
This sugar free chocolate cake is a good substitute for the real deal. Its sweetness comes from the banana and date combination rather …
- 200 grams dates
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 100 grams margarine
- 300 ml boiling water
- 1 banana
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup cake flour sifted
- 1/2 cup nutty wheat flour
- 5 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Place the dates, bicarbonate of soda vanilla essence and margarine in a bowl.
- Add the boiling water and leave to stand for 5 minutes.
- Blend the mixture, add the eggs and banana and blend again.
- Mix the flour and cocoa gently into the wet mixture.
- Pour mixture into a tin sprayed with non-stick spray and bake for 30 minutes.
- Once cooled dust with icing sugar and decorate with sugar flowers (optional)