Minestrone soup is a great way to pack in vegetables and fibre! It is also a perfect meatLESS Monday dish!
Minestrone Soup Recipe
By Jun 24, 2013Published:
- Yield: 3 litres (6 Servings)
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
- Ready In: 45 mins
Minestrone soup is a great way to pack in vegetables and fibre! It is also a perfect meatLESS Monday dish! [recipe]
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 stalks celery (with leaves) thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot grated
- 1 cup green beans frozen or fresh
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 6 cups vegetable stock (made to directions)
- 1 can mixed beans (including kidney beans)
- 1 cup whole-wheat macaroni
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese optional
- Heat the oil in a large pot over a medium to high heat. Add the chopped onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a further 30 seconds.
- Add the celery and carrot, cooking for 5 minutes or until they begin to soften.
- Stir in the green beans and corn, add the herbs with salt and pepper to taste and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and the stock to the pot and bring the ingredients to the boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the canned beans and the pasta, cooking for a further 10 minutes until all the vegetables are tender.
- Top with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese if you wish.
- Serve with a slice of low Gi, whole-wheat bread. Try the Sasko lindseed loaf!